Most mailbox or legacy archive migration vendors focus on:
- Copying data from the source environment to the target environment
- Tidying up the source environment
In fact, quite a few migration vendors only really focus on the first of those two, making an ‘attempt’ at the second one.
At Cloudficient we believe that there is a lot more to your migration project than just copying the data. You need to do much more, including:
- Progress reporting. IT managers and business stakeholders in the migration project will need to know how the migration is progressing, and whether there have been any issues.
- User communication. Keeping users ‘in the loop’ is essential to ensure a smooth, successful migration project.
- Preparing to move the data repositories. If you’re moving legacy data from Enterprise Vault to Office 365 there are tasks that should be performed to ensure a smooth transformation.
- Copying or moving the data repositories. This could be a primary mailbox, legacy archive, or both. It could be the whole repository or filtered on some attribute like the date of the item.
- Performing tasks on the target environment. For example, setting mailbox quotas, or message size limits, or enabling personal archive mailboxes, or assigning licenses. Those are just some examples, and most organizations have requirements in this area which is still part of the migration project.
- Performing tasks on the source environment. As an example: If you’ve migrated legacy archive data from something like Enterprise Vault, then there will most likely be shortcuts to tidy up in the mailbox.
Automate Additional Tasks
If we take Enterprise Vault legacy archive migration we need to perform tasks in all of these areas:
It’s a similar story if you’re onboarding users into Office 365, it’s not just a matter of moving the users’ mailbox from on-premise to the cloud.
In some organizations these tasks might get performed manually, or via PowerShell scripts.
In EVComplete and Onboarding 365 Complete we do all of that, transparently, so that all stakeholders can be fully engaged and kept up to date. Wouldn’t it be great if every class of end-users went through the same set of automated steps and that these steps were logged, repeatable and fully audited?
With some generations of archive migration solution it’s hard to produce consolidated reporting across the environment. Cloudficient has a single pane of glass where it’s easy to see the overall progress of the migration, as well as detailed information on the progress of individual users (or archives).
You’re now getting the idea it’s not just about copying the data. Don’t rely on testing, maintaining your own PowerShell scripts and trying to keep track of everything via Excel! We’ve all done that before and it clearly has its pitfalls!
With unmatched next generation migration technology, Cloudficient is revolutionizing the way businesses retire legacy systems and transform their organization into the cloud. Our business constantly remains focused on client needs and creating product offerings that match them. We provide affordable services that are scalable, fast and seamless.
If you would like to learn more about how to bring Cloudficiency to your migration project, visit our website, or contact us.